Effective 31 July 2018, you may need to give your fingerprints and photos (biometrics) at a Visa Application Centre when you apply for a visitor visa, study or work permit, or permanent residence if you are a national of a country or territory in Europe, the Middle East or Africa, or if you are a national of a country that is already biometrics required. Visit Canada.gc.ca/biometrics to Find out if you need to give your biometrics.
- Temporary resident visa, study and work permit applicants only need to give biometrics once every 10 years;
- However, permanent residence applicants will need to give biometrics with each application.
- If you have applied for a temporary resident visa, study or work permit in the past and are unsure if the biometrics have been provided, Please refer to the IRCC website (Canada.gc.ca/biometrics), and “Find out if your biometrics are still valid”
- Refer to the IRCC website for a list of visa-required countries for temporary residents: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html
For the purposes of biometric collection, nationality is based on the nationality you have declared in question number 6 (*Citizenship) on the IRCC application form.
Applicants who have submitted an application online to IRCC must present a Biometrics Instruction Letter to enrol their biometrics. To find out more about biometrics visit the IRCC website
- Applicants applying in person at a VAC do not need to present a Biometrics Instruction Letter.
- Applicants will need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photo) upon IRCC office’s request, unless they are exempt.
Applicants will need to give biometrics regardless of whether they gave biometrics in the past to support a temporary resident visa, study or work permit application, or a different permanent resident application.
Biometrics will be collected using a quick, discreet and non-intrusive process that captures a facial image with a digital camera and a 10-digit fingerprint scan with a digital
Please Click Here for more information’s if you are required to enrol Biometrics
Step 1: Appear at the VAC in person.
- Find your closest CVAC
Step 2: Bring the necessary documentation
- Make sure you bring:
- Your passport.
- Your Biometric Instruction Letter from the Government of Canada, if you have submitted an application online to IRCC
- Additional documentation, if applicable –To know more please click here.