top button


List of countries and effective dates

Country Effective date
Afghanistan December 11, 2013
Albania October 23, 2013
Algeria October 23, 2013
Bangladesh December 11, 2013
Burma/Myanmar December 11, 2013
Cambodia December 11, 2013
Democratic Republic of Congo October 23, 2013
Egypt December 11, 2013
Eritrea October 23, 2013
Haiti September 4, 2013
Iran December 11, 2013
Iraq December 11, 2013
Jamaica September 4, 2013
Jordan December 11, 2013
Laos December 11, 2013
Lebanon December 11, 2013
Libya October 23, 2013
Nigeria October 23, 2013
Pakistan December 11, 2013
Palestinian Authority December 11, 2013
Saudi Arabia October 23, 2013
Somalia October 23, 2013
South Sudan October 23, 2013
Sri Lanka December 11, 2013
Sudan October 23, 2013
Syria December 11, 2013
Tunisia October 23, 2013
Vietnam December 11, 2013
Yemen December 11, 2013

Applicants with multiple citizenships

You must use the same travel document for the entire application process. Use this same document when you go to give your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or an Application Support Centre (ASC).

If you have already submitted your application and you would like to change the nationality on your application, you must:

  • withdraw your application. To do this, contact the visa office responsible for your country or territory,
  • submit a new application and pay the applicable fees.

Please note that if you give your biometric information before you withdraw your application, the biometric fee will not be refunded.


If you are from one of the countries or territory above, you do not need to give your biometrics to visit Canada if you are:

  • under 14 years old or 80 years old and over (if you are close to your 80th birthday.
  • a diplomat, consular officer, representative, or official of:
    • a country,
    • the United Nations or any of its agencies,
    • any intergovernmental organization that Canada is a member of,

    and you are travelling to Canada on official business (any family members travelling with you are also exempt),

  • applying for a visa to transit through Canada for less than 48 hours, directly to or from the United States and you hold a valid United States entry visa, or
  • Already in Canada and are eligible to apply for a visitor (temporary resident) visa, study permit or work permit to an office in Canada.